Saturday, December 20, 2003

Saylenay Olinay


Hooray to me! I've attended one out of nine simbang gabis. That's a pretty big achievement. For the past four years or so I haven't been to a single simbang gabi (no steer). Blame it to my overly exaggerated high school sched and my chronic laziness.
Instead of being eager and enthusiastic on our way to the church, I wanted to go back home 'cause it was too darn chilly outside. If my mother hadn't called me an erehe (that's heretic for you)palibhasa di pa nakukumpilan, I wouldn't even consider simbang gabi. It's just another religious/cultural tradition after all. We were late for mass so we had to stand outside amidst the chilly air because I forgot my jacket. Arrgh! Eventually, I can't stand the winds anymore I left my mom outside and went in (the church) where it was warm.
Because I was already inside I felt compelled to listen to the homily. Not that I don't usually listen. The force to make you listen was harder to resist when your inside. Words that stuck to my mind:"families who do not eat together aren't close families"<--ok that hit me. our family doesn't eat together, so we're not a close family? What does 'close family' mean anyway? Is closeness gauged by the number of times you eat together? "when you have a venial (i don't know if I spelled it correctly) sin your soul's sick"<-- Ok so my soul's, apparently, sick right now hmmm... "when you have a mortal sin your soul's dead" <-- I took this with a lot more hmmmms. So my soul's not sick, it's dead! Freaky huh? Fine, if that's what they say! I don't have to believe everything right? Or am I being too heretic already? Nah... I may not be too Catholic but I still am a believer of God (in all His greatness).
You just can't help questioning some priests sometimes. I may not know what homilies are all about but I know they're supposed to be more than cathecism lessons or pastoral letter readings. More than anything they should be about good Christian values and lessons from no less than the Bible.

listening to: Grin Department- Simbang Gabi
mood: puzzled
last thing I ate: champi (yum yum)

No comments: