Friday, April 09, 2004

American Idle

Either I'm so hooked with American Idol or I just had nothing else better to do. I watched both reruns of AI and I checked out idolonfox.com. Fantasia has pretty bad reviews. She can sing and all but maybe, all the praises crept into her head and it has blown up a little already. I don't know if anyone has noticed but she didn't handle Simon's critiscisms very well. She was, in fact, a little pikon and she tries to hide it but idoes a sucky job at it. I think, Ryan Seacrest felt it too. She has that personality thingy working for her, though and she can sing so maybe she'll be on the show long enough, maybe she'll be on the final 6 or 5, even.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

blabs

People today don't have Good Fridays like we used to have them when we were younger. I remember when Biyernes Santo seemed so solemn that we were scolded by Tita Arce when we laughed a teeny bit loud. Or how my Tita Fe would tell us to take a bath early because when 12 noon strikes, they told us, we were already forbidden to bathe because Jesus was about to die. I didn't quite got the logic there but as a child, of course, I believed them because they're older and I thought they know better. I also grew up on the belief that when you get wounded on Good Friday, it would take your wounds a very long time to heal because supposedly, since Jesus is dead, his healing powers are down. I remember me and my cousins took extra care in playing or not play at all during Good Friday because we were afraid we'd get wounded. Before, you were supposed to be sad on Good Friday even if you don't feel like being sad at all , that's why we say, "parang Biyernes Santo ang mukha mo" whenever we see someone look really gloomy.
But now, Good Friday was just like any other day. In fact, in our street, children seemed to be noisier and numerous than usual like there was some conspiracy that they'd all go out at once you'll be puzzled where all the kids have come from. It could be because of cable TV and the internet that we don't fell much of Good Friday anymore. It was one thing to do away with silly beliefs but another to take away the solemnity of Good Friday.

No comments: