Friday, September 03, 2004

Whoa Imelda!

We owe Imelda Marcos for putting the Philippines on the map because of her extravagant collection of shoes…thousands of them. People of the world have put up an amazing correlation, almost a congruency between her and her Guinness-worthy love for shoes. Imelda was an institution all on her own that she even had a whole new adjective coined after her- Imeldific. It was like she lived in a different reality, a bubble, with her glamorous wardrobe, her roomful of shoes and the illusion that being beautiful was her mission and purpose.
She would talk about love and beauty and the cosmos and how beauty has made her a "star and slave" and how beauty is "God and Love made real". Really, weird stuff. She had a museum built for her and dioramas depicting her "moments". NOw that was really really weird. Almost kinda freaky. Dioramas of yourself? Watdahel. Now, tell me she's not obsessed and borderline narcissistic. BUt I have to admit she is pretty. ANd the clothes, gawd, superb! fabulouso. I wouldn't comment on the political stuff, ill-gotten wealth etc. I don't know much about that. What I do know is that Imelda led an extravagant life. ANd maybe on one part, we can't blame her for being too Imeldific. Well, what can I day? she is Imelda.

I could go on and blab about Imelda forever but the documentary is still something you have to see to believe. I saw it last Monday and whoa was all I managed to say. Awestruck, flabbergasted, dumbfounded, confused, amazed, astounded, wowed, (credits to shift F9) everything! Words can’t possibly describe how I felt. I don’t know. It’s kind of a mixture of knowing and understanding and yet being utterly confused at the same time. Oh the irony that is Imelda!

No comments: